IEL Strategic Plan
The Ontario Institute for Education Leadership (IEL) is a virtual organization that includes representatives from principals’ and supervisory officers’ associations, Ontario Association of Senior Business Officials (OASBO), council of directors of education and the ministry of education. The IEL's main goal is to assist school and system leaders in maximizing the achievement and well-being of all children and students.
The IEL influences and supports provincial program and policy development and implementation of the Ontario Leadership Strategy (OLS) and the Ontario Leadership Framework (OLF) through a collaborative network of Ministry and professional associations of school and system leaders in the interests of student achievement and well-being.
The IEL has articulated three key goals:
- engage in professional inquiry as it relates to the Ontario Leadership Framework (OLF) and the Ontario Leadership Strategy (OLS);
- influence leadership practice through the ongoing development and implementation of the OLF and the OLS; and
- promote and mobilize research on effective leadership practice.
The IEL Steering Committee meets regularly during the school year and operates on a consensus model. The IEL's guiding principles include recognizing the need to be responsive to each of the four sectors of publicly funded education, seeking expert advice from multiple sources, and evaluating and reporting annually on its activities.
IEL Members' Roles and Responsibilities
IEL members’ responsibilities involve ongoing communication about the work of the IEL to all within their sphere of influence, advocating for implementation of effective leadership practice and modeling collaborative leadership. IEL members provide information and input from their organizations and actively promote the resources and tools available through the IEL. The position of chair of the IEL rotates every two years between a representative from the English public, English Catholic and French language sectors.
Association des directions et directions adjointes des écoles franco-ontariennes
Association des gestionaires de l’éducation franco-ontarienne
Catholic Principals’ Council of Ontario
Council of Ontario Directors of Education
Ministry of Education
Ontario Association of School Business Officials
Ontario Catholic Supervisory Officers’ Association
Ontario Principals’ Council
Ontario Public Supervisory Officers’ Association
Contributions to Effective Leadership Practice
- Revisions to the Ontario Leadership Framework to include personal leadership resources
- The Ontario Leadership Framework 2012 with a Discussion of the Research Foundations
- Strong Districts and Their Leadership research paper commissioned by the IEL and CODE
- Strong Districts and Their Leadership Project – implementation of the nine characteristics of strong districts – modules, case studies and videos
- Self-Assessment Tools for School and System Leaders
- Annual Orientation for Newly Appointed Supervisory Officers
- Transition to the Role of Principal and Vice-principal Study commissioned by the IEL
- Supports for Principals and Vice-Principals Transitioning to the Role - New Administrators’ Seminar
- Leading Safe and Accepting Schools Project – toolkit, resources and webcasts
- Personal Leadership Resources – guest speakers, case studies and interview questions
- APPLIKI - a succession planning search engine for Ontario educators
- Professional Resource Library
- Leading the Future: A Project of the Directors of Education in Southwest Ontario - a research project to further develop the leadership capacities of directors of education in Southwest Ontario and to develop a set of recommendations for the refinement of the System Practices and Procedures currently outlined in the Ontario Leadership Framework (OLF)
- Succession Planning for Leadership in Ontario Schools and School Boards – a study on succession planning practices and issues
- Leadership Succession Challenges, Preparation, Recruitment, Selection and Retention - Australia Project
- Instructional Leadership – Belgium Project
- Effective Practices for Improving Literacy Outcomes for Elementary Students in Diverse Areas of Toronto – Netherlands Project
- Multiple Perspectives and Collaboration in Strategic Leadership Symposium – featured Ron Heifetz and Andy Hargreaves- offered to all boards in December 2006
- Multiple Perspectives and Collaboration in Strategic Leadership Symposium – featured Ron Heifetz and Dean Fink – pilot for 12 boards in May 2006
Go to https://education-leadership-ontario.ca/en/ to access resources including APPLIKI and Safe and Accepting Schools resources/webcasts